Thursday, November 13, 2008

Standpoint Theory

The Standpoint Theory of Sandra Harding and Julia Woods found in chapter 34 was really relevant to a conversation that I had with a few girlfriends. The fact that Harding and Woods focus on women as a marginalized group is something that my girlfriends and I agree on. We discussed the fact that society and culture differentiate males and females from the beginning starting with pink for girls and blue for boys. Girls are given dolls to play with and boys are given trucks. Girls are consoled when they cry and boys are told to not cry.

Harding and Wood point out that “women are not a monolithic group” (Griffin, 2009, p. 444). In other words we don’t necessarily take the same standpoint on issues. This is where the conversation with my girlfriends comes in. I happened to mention chivalry and how I appreciate a man who opens the door for me or takes my hand to guide me. The reaction I received was not what I expected. My friends said my view on chivalry was demeaning to women and views like that can take away what women have fought so hard for. I happen to not agree. In fact it is my opinion that society has made an impression that chivalry is becoming a stigma and men who demonstrate chivalry are addressed as weak. So I guess I would concur with Harding and Woods point that women are not a monolithic group.

2 comments:

Auntie2-3 said...

I like how you related how culture and society differentiate males and females. Your example was perfect and makes this theory easier to understand, expecially if I were someone who had not read the text. I agree with you, and the standpoint theorists, that women are not a monolithic group. I also appreciate chivalry. I do not think it takes away from what we've worked so hard for. If anything, I think it is a sign of respect and a part of old-fashioned romance or woo-ing, as my mother would say, that we deserve to be shown. And we show men respect in ways that they deserve. I am taking your side on this one. Chivalry ROCKS! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with your post. It reminds me of the episode of friends when Ben, Ross's son, has a Barbie doll. While the mother has no issue with it, Ross does. He tries the entire episode to lure his son away from the Barbie. He even hids it and gives him a G.I. Joe instead. Ive even talked with other fathers about this and they said they would do the same as Ross. That "no way would my son have a Barbie". I would be interested to know how far this thinking goes back. When were boys told not to cry and be a man?