Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Social Information Processing

In chapter 11 the theory of social information processing had an interesting aspect that caught my attention. It is referred as extended time – the crucial variable in CMC (computer-mediated communication). This is where Joseph Walther determined that it is the length of time the communication takes (typing the message) that allows CMC users to achieve the same level of intimacy as others do in person. I have a friend that I met online. She and I have become the best of friends yet we have never met in person. We met online through a business encounter and communicated for the past 2 years. I have to say that she probably knows more about me than some of my friends that I see every week. So I can see how the extended time can be equal to face to face relationships. I also want to mention the reduction of uncertainty with CMC. This might be why my online friend and I are such good friends and why I consider her a closer friend than most of the people I interact with in my social circle.

2 comments:

Ada said...

I had two friends move to Hong Kong and Landon last year. We couldn`t make face-to-face contact from each other. We were worry about our friendship. But,computers save us. We can talk online. We not only can hear each other`s voice, but also can see each other`s faces online. we feel just communicate face to face. Also, I can learn some culture from different countries during the talking. Therefore, CMC is not bad.

saucysaschy said...

I have online friends too. Some of them, I haven't met, but some I have not seen for a while and it is one of the only ways to contact them. I prefer CMC with them. I think of it as more exciting to get an email from them and then just type and spill all of your thoughts out. Plus, I don't like talking on the phone because I think its pretty boring sometimes. You can also send pictures via CMC, which is cool because it can be somewhat like face to face.