Saturday, December 6, 2008

Chapter 36 - Conflict

The last subject that I will be blogging about from chapter 36 is conflict. It still strikes me oddly that healthy communication can make conflict productive. It has to do with my upbringing and how conflict was imbedded in my mind as something negative. Maybe it has something to do with Kramarae’s muted group theory. I am a female and this theory states (Griffin, 2008), that women are a marginalized group and are kept on the margins of society through unjust communication practices” (p. 482). I have to say, my interaction with others reflects Collin’s standpoint theory, “any women who refuses to join into the discussion is cheating, especially if she really disagrees with what’s been said” (Griffin, 2008, p.482). I can see how this can create productive conflict because the other side is being addressed.

2 comments:

JahCat said...

I also wrote a blog about conflict and agree that it is odd that conflict can be productive. I think that it is hard sometimes to express how your feeling if you dont want to create a kind of conflict. I agree with the book that it could be considered cheating by not adding to the conversation if you disagree with what is being said. I have never through about that. I think that sometimes when addressing the other side those people cannot look past their point of view and create more conflict.

CeeZee said...

Considering not contributing to a conversation as to avoid conflict "cheating" does seem odd. I guess when you think about anything in life, you don't grow unless you are put outside your comfort zone. Plants aren't as healthy when they aren't pruned. So, from that perspective, maybe you aren't cheating the "game" or system of communication, but cheating yourself from a chance to grow.