Friday, December 5, 2008

Chapter 36 - Expectation

Expectation found in chapter 36 is defined as, “In human interaction, our anticipation of how others will act or react toward us” (Griffin, 2008, pg. 476). There are several threads that are included in expectation. The expectancy theory which is, “what we anticipate will happen rather than what we desire” is the first thread mentioned (Griffin, 2008, pg. 476). Also mentioned are the interaction adaptation theory, social exchange theory, symbolic interactionism, uncertainty reduction theory, social information processing theory, and cultivation theory. I find it amazing that all of these theories have the common factor of expectation but as we learned about these theories we can see how they intertwine. The theory that I identify with the most is expectancy violations theory. I tend to anticipate how an interaction will occur instead of how I desire. If the interaction does not go as I anticipated it causes me to react even if it was how I would have desire the encounter.

No comments: