Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Personality Structure: A Multilayered Onion

Social Penetration Theory of Irwin Altman & Dalmas Taylor is defined as, “the process of developing deeper intimacy with another person through mutual self-disclosure and other forms of vulnerability” (Griffin, 2008, p. 114). The one aspect of this theory that caught my attention was Personality Structure: A Multilayered Onion. The example of the layers of an onion and how they represent the way we disclose personal information to those we encounter was an excellent example. This theory rings true to the experiences I have had throughout my life.

The personality structure is define as, “Onion-like layers of beliefs and feelings about self, others, and the world; deeper layers are more vulnerable, protected, and central to self-image” Griffin, 2008, p. 114). When I first meet someone I disclose very little about my beliefs, fears, goals, and preferences. As I get to know them I will share more information. So if you asked someone I just met to describe the type of person I am they would have a different description of me than say someone who has known me for several years.

References

Griffin, E. (2008). A First Look At Communication Theory. New York, NY: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

3 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

The onion metaphor provides one way of representing the process of how we get to know people. Are there other metaphors you can think of that describe the process in different way? I'm asking out of curiosity. The onion metaphor is a popular one (it's used in the movie Shrek), but I'm thinking that humans are more complex than that. More like a maze than an onion.

Ada said...

I`m also interesting in the example of " Multilayered Onion"; and it`s a very good example to explain the personality structure.I always do the same thing. When I met someone and got to know him/her, I would share the information about me to let the person understand the real me. If I didn`t share the information about me, the person and I couldn`t get to know each other. Therefore, when I meet friends, I always share some information about me at first. The person I just meet will feel warm and friendly from me; the person will be happy to share the information about himself/herself to me.

Maly from Cali said...

I noticed many of us were interested with the onion layer theory. I remember it from Shrek as well. It is a good metaphor, but like Professor Cyborg states, I think we are more complex than an onion. I do not know if there is any, one thing, that can truly grasp the complexity of a human. I agree with the theory, as far as the deeper the penetration of the onion, the closer you get to your self-image. I think we keep our self-concept guarded and therefor the closest thing to the center. It is how we percieve the world around us including ourselves. It takes a lot for me to let someone in close enough to see the real me. But like the theory explains, once we have let someone in, you cannot go back. Privacy is next to impossible once you've let someone else enter the realm of self-concept. It is probably the most vulnerable place to be, but also the most rewarding if your boundaries align with the other person, and self-disclosure is reciprocated.