Thursday, September 18, 2008

Theorems of Uncertainty Reduction Theory

I found the axioms in chapter 10 quite interesting. They are all part of Berger’s Theorems of Uncertainty Reduction Theory. You can find this on page 128 -129. There is a chart labeled Figure 10-1, where you can determine the correlation of two axioms at intersection. For instance, axiom 3 (Information Seeking) and axiom 4 (Self-Disclosure) intersect at a minus sign. This means that as one increases the other will decrease. So I interpret this to mean if someone shows an increased interest (Information Seeking), that person tends to disclose (Self-Disclosure) very little about themselves. I can find that true if axiom 7 (Liking) doesn’t become a factor. If I reflect on my own life experience Self-Disclosure will increase if Liking increases and it shows that on the chart as being true. This chart really helped me understand the correlation between axioms of Berger's Theorems of Uncertainty Reduction Theory.

No comments: